So, you’re deciding to get laser hair removal done!
Congratulations! As this is a super-convenient, long-lasting way to get practically permanent hair removal anywhere you want.
But you know there are things to be researched before you get started…
A myriad of facts and hacks to get you through the oh-so coveted laser hair removal process, and out happy and smooth on the other side.
But what exactly do you look up?
What is helpful?
What are the facts that will help guide you without leaving you feeling overwhelmed and weary?
Do you want to know how laser hair removal works?
Here at CALVEO, we’ve got your back (whether you want hair removed there too or not). Scroll below for our easy to follow laser hair removal step-by-step guide!
LASER TREATMENT – EXPLAINING THE SIMPLE SCIENCE
First things first, understanding what precisely laser light does when removing unwanted hair is important for understanding what to do before, and after, this process is done!
Generally speaking, the laser light targets the pigment of the hair. The energy of the pulsed light turns into heat, which then damages the hair follicles (what produce the hairs). This damage then delays or completely rids hair growth in the future.
Voila! Simple science.
At CALVEO, the specific laser technology we work with is called the LightSheer® from Lumenis. This state-of-the-art solution is based on diode laser technology, which includes two different lasers for specific areas:
- High-speed Vacuum-Assisted – for larger treatment areas, such as the legs and back
- ChillTip™ Sapphire – for smaller, more delicate treatment areas such as the upper lip and bikini line
Read more about the specifics of these laser hair removal technologies.
Since everyone’s bodies are different (with regards to both hair growth and resting phases in the hair follicles), the number of treatments you need will vary.
Expect an average of 6 to 8 sessions, with about 4-6 to 6-8 weeks of rest between those sessions depending on the area!
PRO TIP: If you’re expecting to be silky smooth and hair-free come summer, I’d recommend starting your laser treatment journey ASAP! …After going through this entirely fabulous and super helpful guide, of course. 😉
BEFORE TREATMENT – PREP
Prepping your targeted long-term hair removal areas before treatment is just as important, if not more, than how you must care for your treated areas after and in between your multiple sessions. So before you get this done…Be sure to:
- Avoid the sun or use SPF 30+ and re-apply regularly! If you have a tan pre-laser treatment, you must wait for it to fade entirely before getting anything done.
- Chemical peels and self-tanner should be avoided at least two weeks before treatment; scrubs and retinol creams, at least two days
- Always shave or cut your hair at least 2 days prior to treatment. Ensure optimum results during your treatment session.
- NEVER wax or use tweezers, since the laser must identify the hair follicle pigment for it to be effective. If the follicle is pulled out too far, the laser won’t find it. Hence, we miss treating those unwanted hairs, wasting your treatment session and prolonging results for permanent hair reduction.
- Use a calming gel or lotion in sensitive areas, such as the upper lip or bikini line, to reduce redness and discomfort.
AFTER TREATMENT – CARE AND MAINTENANCE
Put your big girl pants on, especially if you love working out. This one might hurt.
- Avoid the sun.
- Chemical peels and self-tanner should be avoided for at least two weeks after treatment; scrubs and retinol creams, two days.
- Do NOT try plucking loose hair after your treatment, instead let it fall out naturally. Some hairs will fall out straight away, some over the next 1-2 weeks after treatment.
- For the first 24 hours…you CANNOT go to the gym. AVOID hot showers, saunas, and the use of perfumes and deodorants…Otherwise, skin irritation and bacteria can grow, leaving you with some ugly spots!
- Use that calming gel or lotion some more 🙂
BENEFITS AND BEYOND!
Did you know that laser hair removal helps prevent ingrown hairs because the laser technology encourages that hair grows straight?
Laser hair removal works for all skin types!
Long gone are the myths of those with a darker skin type or lighter hair colour not benefiting as much from laser hair removal as those with fair skin and darker hair. Current laser technology destroys the hair, no matter your skin or hair type, making achieving the lusciously smooth skin of your dreams accessible to all!
SIDE EFFECTS AND IS IT PERMANENT?
There are some side effects of laser hair removal if you don’t do your research ahead of time and don’t go to a non-certified clinic.
- Skin irritation
- Pigmentation changes
- The spread of warts
- Greying of treated hair (very rare)
- Increase in hair growth (extremely rare)
Additionally, although laser hair removal removes hair expertly, there is always the chance that some body hair will grow back. But not exponentially. This is due to a change in hormones as we age. Luckily, the hair that could grow back will be finer, lighter in colour, and easier to remove and not see.
AND THERE YOU HAVE IT
A complete guide to all you need about the procedure, what to do beforehand, and after laser hair removal is complete! As well as the side effects to watch out for (talk to your doctor if you experience any of these!)
Laser hair removal is one of the most innovative hair removal methods there is. With precision in technology and patience, you could have the silky-smooth skin of your dreams in seemingly no time!
You might also be interested in reading if laser hair removal is for everyone?
Still have a question – I would be happy to answer them over the phone, in person (just drop by) or leave a comment below.
Anyone in the East Midlands, if you’re looking for laser hair removal services in Leicester, Rutland, Oakham, Peterborough, Melton, Corby or Grantham, then you can book a free laser hair consultation with us today.
Just so you know, here at CALVEO, we will not be beaten on price!
- HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO SEE RESULTS FROM HYDRAFACIAL? - 7th March 2022
- 8 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT HYDRAFACIAL TREATMENT - 25th January 2022
- NEW YEAR, NEW YOU…WANT TO KNOW MY SECRET? NON SURGICAL BODY CONTOURING! - 4th January 2022